Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Purple Princess Project

 I decided to start a blog so that I could share with everyone how we started and what our goals are and everything else about us.
I was diagnosed with MS in 2009. It came with challenges but I managed to maintain a "mostly normal" life until 2014. In April of that year I was forced to retire and go on long term disability. By this time, my teenage daughter had to help with a lot of the shopping, but I was still trying hard to be a mom. In 2015, I lost control of several bodily functions, and fought to keep going until after her graduation. I required a wheelchair when I left the house or to do things like cooking and cleaning. I could no longer drive so the responsibility fell to my teenage daughter who was trying to be a good student and had to take me to my appointments and everywhere I needed to go. I went to the hospital for three months for physical therapy.
I got home, still needing her to drive, still not able to "be the boss" of my own body. I lived at home trying to manage a relationship with her that grew more and more strained every day. In 2017, I became very ill. I was once again in the hospital for over 2 months. Our relationship slowly started to improve while I was there because she was relieved of the responsibility of caring for me and could visit me then go about her life as a normal teen. I was released from hospital and managed to even take a vacation where some of my bucket list items were crossed off. But when I got home, I once again became very ill. I went back to the hospital where it was decided that I was going to stay until I could move into a long term care home. I was there almost three months again.
During all this time, I wished there was someone who would help me with cleaning things I couldn't reach while living in my house. Even just to clean my tub. I could sit to do the sink etc, but I couldn't do the tub. I could dust, but not stuff on a shelf. Just small things. I couldn't afford a maid service. Home care would help, but on their time, not mine. I decided I needed to start an organization to rally volunteers together and get them to help other people in my condition.
However, losing my independence also took away my confidence, so I kept this all to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment